Two children die in major incident at UK beach resort

Children die in Bournemouth major incident
By Linsey McNeill
01/06/2023
Home » Two children die in major incident at UK beach resort

Two children have died and several others were pulled from the sea during a major incident in Bournemouth yesterday.

A man in his 40s, who was on the water at the time, has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.

Locals told media outlets said the tragedy involved a jet ski, but police have urged people not to speculate on what happened.

The two deceased children, a girl aged 12 and a 17-year-old boy, were among 10 who were pulled from the sea just off Bournemouth Pier by emergency services at around 4.30pm on Wednesday.

All those recovered from the water were believed to be aged between 12 and 17.

Hundreds of people had been on the beach at the time of the tragedy. Some said they watched as at least one child was given CPR.

Two of the children were taken to hospital by air ambulance, where they later died from what police described as ‘critical injuries’.

Eight others were treated for injuries that are not life-threatening, they said.

Detective Chief Superintendent Neil Corrigan, of Dorset Police, added: “Our thoughts are with the loved ones of the young people who tragically died and we are doing all we can to support their families.

“I understand the beach was very busy at the time of the incident and I would ask anyone with information that may assist our enquiries to please come forward.

“We are at the early stages of our investigation and would ask people not to speculate about the circumstances surrounding the incident.”

Image is of Bournemouth beach from Shutterstock,

Share this article

Latest News

Loading