Operator says three Brits missing after dive boat fire have died

By Lisa James
12/06/2023
Home » Operator says three Brits missing after dive boat fire have died

The three British nationals missing after a dive boat burst into flames of the coast of Marsa Alam, Egypt, on Sunday have died.

UK operator Scuba Travel, which organised the trip, issued a statement to Sky News saying: “It is with great regret that we, as tour operator, with heavy hearts, must accept that three of our much-valued dive guests, perished in the tragic incident.

“Our sincere and heartfelt condolences go out to their families and friends at this very sad time.”

A spokesman for the travel company said the three were among 15 British divers who were on a week’s stay on board the Hurricane dive boat when the fire broke out at around 8:30am local time on Sunday.

The boat left Port Ghalib on Tuesday and was due to return on Sunday.

The blaze started in the engine room while 12 of the divers were taking part in a briefing. The three who died had decided not to dive that morning and were not at the briefing.

Scuba Travel said the severity of the fire meant that 12 of the divers were immediately evacuated to another boat nearby and the 14 crew members also had to abandon ship after trying to reach the missing guests, Sky News reports.

The 12 rescued guests were taken to Marsa Shagra.

Scuba Travel had earlier told Sky News it had used the boat company since 2001 and described it as a ‘very good operator’.

However, a British holidaymaker who had been on the dive boat in May told MailOnline there were ‘recurring issues’ including toilets and showers not working properly. He said the boat had ‘seen better days’.

Share this article

Latest News

Loading