Stranded tourists start to leave Machu Picchu

By Lisa James
19/12/2022
Home » Stranded tourists start to leave Machu Picchu

Hundreds of tourists who were stranded at the ancient city of Machu Picchu in Peru are being evacuated.

The tourists were stranded last week amid protests and civil unrest that saw rail services and airports disrupted, including the train service to Machu Picchu.

PeruRail, Peru’s railway operator for the south and southeast regions of the country, said on Saturday that trains were resuming operations to and from Machu Picchu on an emergency basis in order to allow the tourists to leave.

The train operator said the elderly, people with heath conditions and families with children would be the first to leave.

The UK Foreign Office (FCDO) has updated its advice to say: “A service from Machu Picchu has begun to resume a partial service, with travel possible some of the way before the service connects with vehicles for onward travel to Cusco.”

PeruRail added evacuees would be taken by bus from the community of Piscacucho to Cuzco, where Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport has reopened.

The FCDO warned a five-day curfew, which started in some provinces on 16 December, is still on-going. Curfew times differ between regions.

The FCDO also said: “Any British Nationals experiencing travel problems should consider completing the Peruvian tourist authority i-Peru’s online form which is being used to inform the work of Peruvian authorities in assisting people.”

Latest News

Loading