Seaside hotel closes following boy’s death

Seaside hotel closed after boy electrocuted
By Linsey McNeill
18/09/2023
Home » Seaside hotel closes following boy’s death

A hotel in Blackpool has closed for the foreseeable future after a 10-year-old boy died, apparently from an electric shock.

Jack Piper-Sheach from Grimsby was found unresponsive in the lobby of Tiffany’s Hotel in Blackpool on 3 September and died four days later in hospital.

At the opening of an inquest into his death last Friday, Senior Coroner Alan Wilson said a paediatric consultant found the boy, who had been on holiday with his family, had sufferd an electrocution injury and cardiac arrest.

Mr Wilson said there were ‘clearly questions to be asked about how the incident happened’.

He called for evidence from Blackpool Council to see if any interactions had taken place with the directors of the hotel over health and safety issues. A full inquest will be held in February.

A notice on the hotel’s website says it is temporarily closed ‘and will remain so for the foreseeable future’.

It said it was contacting all customers with bookings to discuss alternative arrangements.

A spokesperson for the hotel told media outlets it would assist in any investigation and passed on condolences to the boy’s family.

Share this article

Latest News

Loading