Sun Princess cancels revised inaugural sailing days before departure

Sun Princess inaugural voyage cancelled
By Lisa James
14/02/2024
Home » Sun Princess cancels revised inaugural sailing days before departure

Princess Cruises has apologised after cancelling the revised inaugural sailing of new ship Sun Princess, which had been due to depart this weekend.

The 10-day cruise had been scheduled to leave Civitavecchia, the port for Rome, on Sunday 18 February.

However, Princess emailed passengers on Tuesday (13 February) to say that, although Sun Princess will be delivered in Italy today, it will remain in the shipyard for ‘additional technical work to be completed’.

Sun Princess’ original inaugural voyage, due to depart from Barcelona on 8 February, was cancelled because of delays at the Fincantieri shipyard.

Princess confirmed that agent commissions on both cancellations will be protected.

The 4,300-passenger ship is the biggest to be built in Italy and the first to have a ‘revolutionary new platform designed exclusively for the Princess brand’, the cruise line said.

In an email to passengers, President John Padgett said: “While we will be taking delivery of our new Sun Princess on February 14, the ship must remain alongside in the shipyard to allow for additional technical work to be completed and we regret to announce that we have no other option than to cancel the February 18 voyage.

“We share in your deep disappointment and frustration, and sincerely apologise for the extreme disruption the late cancellation of this voyage creates.”

Guests who were booked on the 18 February departure will receive a full refund, as well as a 50% future cruise credit towards a new booking made by 30 November this year, on sailings until the end of December 2025.

Passengers already in Rome, or en route, will be reimbursed for their roundtrip airfare, while those who have not yet started to travel will get up to $200 to cover flight change fees.

For guests already in the region, Princess is also refunding the cost of hotel accommodation up to €450 per night to cover Sunday 18 February and Monday 19 February. It is also paying €140 per person per day to cover meals and other expenses.

John added: “We understand the inconvenience and frustration that this news brings, and we do sincerely apologise for the disruption to your travel plans. We are committed to ensuring that your future experiences with Princess Cruises are nothing short of extraordinary.

“We genuinely hope that you will consider joining us on another Sun Princess voyage, where we promise to provide you with an unforgettable journey filled with adventure, relaxation, and cherished memories.

“Once again, we extend our deepest apologies for the inconvenience this situation has caused and thank you for your understanding and continued support.”

Share this article

Latest News

Loading