The UK Foreign Office has changed its travel advice to Acapulco and is now warning against all but essential travel to the city, following last week’s hurricane.
Acapulco was left almost entirely cut off when Hurricane Otis struck. It was the most powerful storm so far to hit Mexico’s Pacific coast.
Officials say 39 people are known to have died, at least 10 are missing and hundreds of thousands are without power and water.
Acapulco airport re-opened on Friday, but only for flights taking stranded tourists to Mexico City, the FCDO said. It added: “Normal commercial flights are still not operating.”
“The FCDO said: “Hurricane Otis hit the south coast of Mexico around Acapulco as a Category 5 hurricane on 25 October. The Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office now advises against all but essential travel to the city of Acapulco.
“Hurricane Otis caused significant damage to infrastructure in Acapulco and along Mexico’s southern coast between Zihuatenejo and Punta Maldonado, including hotels, transport, communications, and health services,” the FCDO said.
“There have been reports of looting and robbery, given the scarce supplies of food, water and fuel. The National Guard have deployed to the region to help with disaster efforts.
“The post-storm situation remains dangerous in Acapulco and the wider state of Guerrero.
“There may be further flash flooding and mudslides. Be aware that historically more accidents occur post-storm than during it. The storm is not the only hazard; many electric lines may be down and some buildings may not be structurally sound.”