Family of Brit who died trying to drink all 21 cocktails on pool bar menu hits out at Jamaica hotel

By Linsey McNeill
28/06/2023
Home » Family of Brit who died trying to drink all 21 cocktails on pool bar menu hits out at Jamaica hotel

The family of a British tourist who died in a Jamaica hotel following a drinking challenge has lashed out at the hotel, saying the treatment he received was ‘disgusting’.

A Jamaica pathologist found that Timothy Southern, aged 53, died from acute gastroenteritis ‘due to alcohol consumption’.

The Staffordshire dad was on holiday with his children, sister and other family members when he died.

He had met two Canadian women at the hotel pool bar who told him they were trying to drink all 21 cocktails on the menu before midnight and he decided to join them.

He drank 12 cocktails before going back to his room at the all-inclusive Royal Decameron Club Caribbean in Runaway Bay, where he was later found choking.

One relative told an inquest in Staffordshire that she called for help and a nurse arrived, but the hotel didn’t call an ambulance and the nurse didn’t perform CPR even though the relative thought Mr Southern appeared not to have a pulse.

“She only gave him chest compressions,” the relative told the inquest.

Maybe if she had known what she was doing, maybe he would still be here.”

The family member added: “The service and treatment he received was disgusting.”

The inquest heard Mr Southern had been drinking brandy and beer throughout the morning of his death, prior to joining the two women at the bar.

Coroner for the Staffordshire area, Emma Serrano, ruled last week that his death in May 2022 was alcohol-related.

Mr Southern’s family launched a GoFundMe appeal that raised almost £10,000 to repatriate his body after they found the travel insurance he thought he had via his bank didn’t cover him.

Image of Mr Southern from GoFundMe, image of Royal Decameron Club Runaway Bay

Share this article

Latest News

Loading