The Belgian capital issued its highest terror alert yesterday after two Swedish nationals were shot dead on Boulevard d’Ypres in the centre of Brussels.
A third person was also injured in the attack, which Belgian authorities are treating as terrorism.
In an update to its travel advice last night, the Foreign Office said: “Brussels-Capital Region is now at threat level 4 of 4: avoid all non-essential travel. This is a developing situation – follow the advice of local authorities.”
Police later shot dead a man believed to be the attacker in a café in the Schaerbeek neighbourhood.
Belgian prosecutors have not yet confirmed he was the perpetrator but Interior Minister Annelies Verlinde told Flemish public broadcaster VRT that the automatic weapon found on him was the same as the one used in Monday’s attack.
The Belgium-Sweden Euro 2024 qualifier football match being played in the city’s King Baudoin Stadium three miles away was abandoned following the shootings.
French President Emmanuel Macron, who was on a visit to Albania, said: “Europe has been shaken.”
A spokesman for the Belgian Prosecutor Eric van Duyse said a man claiming to be the attacker had said in a video on social media that he had been inspired by the Islamic State group.
A video shows an Arabic-speaking man saying he carried out the attack in the name of God and that he killed three people, according to the BBC.
The video and others uploaded during the attack are being verified by police, it added.