British tourist dies in a fire at a popular Marrakech hotel

By Harry Kemble
24/03/2023
Home » British tourist dies in a fire at a popular Marrakech hotel

A British tourist has died after getting trapped in a fire at the five-star Jaal Riad Resort Hotel in Marrakech, Morocco.

Another person, believed to be a local Moroccan, also died in the blaze.

Paramedics reportedly rushed to the scene at around 4pm (local time) on Wednesday but were unable to save the them.

The British dad-of-two was in the spa at the time when the fire broke out.

According to unnamed sources, the man, who was in his 40s, died from smoke inhalation.

One source told The Sun: “It was a truly horrific incident. He was a tourist visiting the area with friends and they have had to break the news to his family.

“Everyone is heartbroken. They were in the spa when the fire happened, and they were trapped.”

It is understood the Foreign Office is supporting the man’s family.

Guests pay up to £200 a night to stay at the hotel, which is a 10-minute drive from Marrakech Menara Airport in the centre of the city.

Many UK online travel agents sell the adult-only resort. It is understood to have reopened since the fire.

Travel Gossip has contacted Jaal Riad for a comment.

Share this article

Latest News

Loading