380 guests evacuated after blaze at luxury resort

By Lisa James
04/07/2022
Home » 380 guests evacuated after blaze at luxury resort

All 380 guests at the Lux Belle Mare on Mauritius have been moved to other hotels after a fire broke out at the upmarket resort at the weekend.

The fire started in the reception on Saturday morning and spread quickly. No-one was hurt but 80% of the hotel has been destroyed, according to reports.

A message on the hotel’s website said all guests and staff are safe and the resort will be closed until further notice.

The group said it is in the process of contacting guests who had been booked to stay at the resort.

Agent Anthony Goord and wife Sue, from Peter Goord Travel in Plymouth, were among those evacuated.

Their son Billy, a Partner at the agency, told Travel Gossip.

“It was a bit surreal, but they are safe and well and being looked after. They spent one day in temporary accommodation before moving to a different Lux property until they fly back on Thursday.

“Their passports were locked in the safe and they have them now, so that’s the main thing.

“They have half their clothes but they are covered in ash.

“Once my parents were safe, they were more worried about the staff as they are all so lovely and they rely on the hotel for their livelihoods.”

Another travel agent, Jo Richards, also had clients staying at the property.

She said they managed to get their passports but initially thought they had lost all their other possessions.

She later told Travel Gossip they’d updated her to say they’d been moved to Lux Grand Gaube for the remainder of their holiday. They have also got some of their luggage back, although a lot was damaged.

Share this article

Latest News

Loading